Monday, February 17, 2014

February 2014






So here we are in February. What is everyone up to? My son is back at school and therefore all that comes with that.  I do enjoy routine but I love the school holidays where we don't have to be somewhere at a certain time and of course love having no homework.  I have been trying to make a more concerted effort to carve out time for my sewing.  So far so good.  I hope I haven't jinxed myself now.  My work is so busy and even though I only work 3 days a week I sometimes have to bring work home.  There is always so much reading! Open plan offices are not conducive to reading.  Lucky for me my train commute home allows me to do some of the reading.

This past weekend I sewed up my February Sugar Block Club block.  I just love Amy's instructions. They are top notch.  I love how she provides a photo of all the components that need to be cut.  It suits my brain perfectly.  Guess by now you can tell I am enjoying this block of the month program.

In January I was reading Randi's newsletter for her fabric store Fresh Squeezed Fabrics.  Randi had put together some glorious bundles of solids. They surely made my heart sing.  At the time of purchasing I didn't have a specific plan.  However a short time later I needed to make 2 cot quilts.  I will reveal the first one I made another time (its off at the quilters and I forgot to take a photo before I sent it off).  For the second quilt I used a doll quilt pattern from the "Pretty in Patchwork Doll Quilts" by Cathy Gaubert.  It is a great pattern.  The star points are improv pieced and the pattern really made me comfortable giving it a go.  It came together beautifully. I made 4 of the blocks and then sashed it all up.  Gotta laugh at that because that is the bit I stuffed up! You are probably thinking how on earth did she stuff that up? That bit is easier than the blocks.  No idea.  I even checked beforehand that I was sewing the sashing onto the right piece! The brain must have been needing food or something .

All in all I have felt very creative this February. I hope you are all getting some creative time too because it sure does make you feel good.





2 comments:

Rachaeldaisy said...

It's great to see you're finding time to sew! I love your block, the fabrics pop so well together! Your little quilt is beautiful in its simplicity. Funny how you made a mistake in the sashing, it's the easy bits that catch us out.

Sue SA said...

Love those colours together, I must loose my fear of orange, because I always think it looks good when other people use it!